TORAYPEF™ Polyolefin Form
TORAYPEF™ is long, sheet-like foam that is semi-rigid and features closed cells that are produced via electron beam cross-linking.
With its advanced features such as light weight, heat insulation, shock-absorbing properties, moldability and non-absorption, the product is widely used in a huge variety of fields, including molded interior automotive parts, building insulation, joint filler, pipe covers, and other industrial materials as well as daily necessities, health and sports equipment.
TORAYPEF™ is the registered trademark corresponding to an electron beam cross-linked polyolefin foam developed by Toray using proprietary manufacturing technologies. The product was first launched in 1968 and has since seen use in a large number of different applications. The product was initially developed primarily as a polyolefin foam but high performance grades, including flexible grades (EVA), flame retardant grades and heat resistant polypropylene foam were subsequently developed and sold.
TORAYPEF™ is long sheet-like foam featuring an expansion ratio of 5x to 50x and a 100% closed cell structure which exhibits superior cushioning, shock-absorbing and heat insulation properties, water resistance and superior chemical properties, with a wide range of potential applications.
■Characteristics of TORAYPEF™
- Superior Shock-Absorbance
- The product exhibits superior resilience and flexibility as well as excellent absorption of impact energy. In addition, it combines comfortable cushioning with firmness due to its closed-cell structure.
- Superior Heat Insulation
- The product’s thermal conductivity, water absorption and water vapor transmission rates are extremely low and the product is well suited as a thermal insulation material.
- Superior Waterproofing and Buoyancy
- With its closed-cell structure, the product does not absorb water and shows excellent resistance to water and moisture. Furthermore, the product is highly buoyant.
- Superior Aesthetics
- Cross-linking via electron beam ensures that the surface is smooth with fine textured bubbles.
- Superior Workability
- Additional processing steps such as cutting, slicing, molding and adhesion are easily achieved.
- Superior Chemical Resistance
- Compared with other plastic foams, TORAYPEF™ is virtually immune to the effects of chemical agents.
- Cutting and Punching
- Cutting is generally performed using a vertical cutter but cutting can also be performed using scissors or a razor. Additionally, punching and boring can be performed using a Thomson punching machine.
- The product can be easily sliced using a slicing machine which employs a rotating knife.
- Thermal Fusion Bonding
- The product can be thermal fusion bonded to other PEF objects as well as steel or aluminum plating. Work can be performed simply by using a hot air gun or a Teflon-coated thermal plate.
- Both vacuum molding and pressure molding are possible. Moldability varies among different product grades; the drawing ratio of PE grades as determined via a straight assay is approximately 0.5 while the drawing ratio of PP grades varies from approximately 0.6–1.0.
- Surface Treatment
- Various surface treatments such as embossing, flocking and printing can be performed.
ToraSoft SR28 Soft Foam
SR28 is a new flexible foam with improved texture and cushioning properties, making ideal for use in automotive interiors. SR28 foam combines flexibility and moldability, designed using the Toray Group’s own proprietary formulation and processing technologies, with contributing to the comfort of vehicle interiors.